2019 Football Schedule: 0-0 0-0 SEC
08/31 Portland State HOME ? ? - ?
09/07 Ole Miss AWAY ? ? - ?
09/14 Colorado State HOME ? ? - ?
09/21 San Jose State HOME ? ? - ?
   Home   Help Search Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Frog legs  (Read 5342 times)
Boar
Legend

Mayor of Pee Ridge

« on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »

Boar
Legend

Mayor of Pee Ridge

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »

Razornole
Captain Audubon
Posting Bot 3000

Damnit Bobby!

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

never had them not fried.  didn't really care for them

Official CooperTM nickname: Al Bundy
Hoag Hotties
http/www.http://www.screenjunkies.com/moviephoto/25-sexy-stormtroopers

http://www.retirement-solutions.us/images/retiresolution-taxesgraph.jpg

George Washington's healthcare mandate: provided that all oceangoing ship owners provide catastrophic health insurance for seamen and it required all seamen to purchase it. That was in 1792.
wholehog92
Legend

Political message not found

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »

I like to soak mine in either a beer or wocheshire sauce for at least 3 hours in the fridge in a plastic baggie.  Then I can fix em about any way after that and enjoy them.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Ben Franklin

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only the lawful... they serve to encourage, rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." --Thomas Jefferson 1764.

People that feel like giving more government benefits to the population need only visit an Indian reservation to see how it ends.  --Wholehog92
razor55
Amateur

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:41:29 AM »

The first thing I chow down on when I come home. Can't get 'em here in Bavaria :(
wholehog92
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »

The first thing I chow down on when I come home. Can't get 'em here in Bavaria :(

They don't have frogs in Bavaria?

Ben Franklin

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only the lawful... they serve to encourage, rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." --Thomas Jefferson 1764.

People that feel like giving more government benefits to the population need only visit an Indian reservation to see how it ends.  --Wholehog92
razor55
Amateur

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »

None that you would eat. I think I could get my grocery guy to order some from France (lots of 'em there), but they wouldn't be fresh. We'll be in S.C. in Sept., and that's always the first shopping trip, to get frog legs and raw oysters. Damn, I'm hungry now!
wholehog92
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:31:28 AM »

None that you would eat. I think I could get my grocery guy to order some from France (lots of 'em there), but they wouldn't be fresh. We'll be in S.C. in Sept., and that's always the first shopping trip, to get frog legs and raw oysters. Damn, I'm hungry now!

Couldn't they be shipped to you live from France?  They just take about 30 secs to clean.

Ben Franklin

number1stunna
The Armadillo Commander
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »

soak them in buttermilk and black pepper for about an hour, bread em with Zatarains garlic fishfry and fry the hell out of em. I cook em at least once a month. Got a buddy that frog gigs on the regular so I never run out of frogs.
razor55
Amateur

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »

Couldn't they be shipped to you live from France?  They just take about 30 secs to clean.

That's a good question and I will try to find out about it. I'll ask my friend if he can get some at the wholesale place he buys from in Munich. I kind of like to save them for my trips to the U.S., so I'll have something to look forward to.
wholehog92
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 10:19:39 AM »

That's a good question and I will try to find out about it. I'll ask my friend if he can get some at the wholesale place he buys from in Munich. I kind of like to save them for my trips to the U.S., so I'll have something to look forward to.

That makes sense too.  I just can't fathom someone who can't get frog legs, so I was trying to help!

Ben Franklin

Eustace
Red Shirt

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »

Hate to say it but Ernest T told me those fine legs came from China.

Common sense just ain't very common anymore. - Eustace
Pain is just weakness leaving the body. - Gunner
razor55
Amateur

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 05:21:46 AM »

That makes sense too.  I just can't fathom someone who can't get frog legs, so I was trying to help!

'Preciate your comment. Did some research: amphibians are protected in Germany, meaning no frog killin'. The import of frog legs, however, is legal. I can buy dead ones from outside Germany, but can't buy live ones to butcher here. I'd imagine most of the ones we import come from China, and also a lot from France. I will check with my Asia market dude on the weekend. He"s the one who gets my okra, another hard-to-find-here Southern delicacy.

On the upside, spare-ribs are way cheap here, great beer and sausages, good wine is affordable, cheese, bread, etc. are supreme, and with my smoker (thanks sis, for sending it over) and homemade bbq sauce, we can do some great pulled pork.
wholehog92
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:10:02 AM »

'Preciate your comment. Did some research: amphibians are protected in Germany, meaning no frog killin'. The import of frog legs, however, is legal. I can buy dead ones from outside Germany, but can't buy live ones to butcher here. I'd imagine most of the ones we import come from China, and also a lot from France. I will check with my Asia market dude on the weekend. He"s the one who gets my okra, another hard-to-find-here Southern delicacy.

On the upside, spare-ribs are way cheap here, great beer and sausages, good wine is affordable, cheese, bread, etc. are supreme, and with my smoker (thanks sis, for sending it over) and homemade bbq sauce, we can do some great pulled pork.

As a descendant of some great bootleggers and cookers, I see a market.  It really is things like that are hard to explain to people about why there truly is no place like home.  I've spent a good deal of my life in different parts of this space rock and enjoyed some aspects of just about all of them except Saudi Arabia.  I was always glad to be back home where I can snatch a frog out of the pond and let the grease fly.  I'm glad for the experiences and proud to be back in the Ozarks.  I've never tried to store frog legs for shipping, but good luck making your home more comfortable!

Ben Franklin

razor55
Amateur

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »

Yeah, there are some things that, even if you get close, just ain't the same. I try to make breakfast sausage here and just can't get it down, no matter what the recipe says, for example. If you don't have access to a P.X., no sausage for you.

But hey, like you (though just for travelling purposes and not professionally), I've been to more than a few places, and have always found enriching things to add to my life no matter where I am, so everything I miss is balanced out by something new (sorry Grandma, the best fried chicken I ever had was at the market in Ranong, Thailand).

About the market idea - I've been lightly pondering a bbq. trailer to do at events. These people DO NOT KNOW what barbecue is. Everyone, with no exceptions, who has tried my bbq. chicken and ribs has freaked out. And that's those done on the charcoal grill, not in the smoker. I live in the middle of town and many people walk by when I grill and stick their heads around the corner to find out what smells so good. The sauce takes 10 minutes to mix and is the one thing that takes me home to Arkansas. Chicken and pork are cheap. The only thing to add is coleslaw, bread, and paper towels. I think it would be pretty lucrative, at least as a paying hobby.
wholehog92
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »

Yeah, there are some things that, even if you get close, just ain't the same. I try to make breakfast sausage here and just can't get it down, no matter what the recipe says, for example. If you don't have access to a P.X., no sausage for you.

But hey, like you (though just for travelling purposes and not professionally), I've been to more than a few places, and have always found enriching things to add to my life no matter where I am, so everything I miss is balanced out by something new (sorry Grandma, the best fried chicken I ever had was at the market in Ranong, Thailand).

About the market idea - I've been lightly pondering a bbq. trailer to do at events. These people DO NOT KNOW what barbecue is. Everyone, with no exceptions, who has tried my bbq. chicken and ribs has freaked out. And that's those done on the charcoal grill, not in the smoker. I live in the middle of town and many people walk by when I grill and stick their heads around the corner to find out what smells so good. The sauce takes 10 minutes to mix and is the one thing that takes me home to Arkansas. Chicken and pork are cheap. The only thing to add is coleslaw, bread, and paper towels. I think it would be pretty lucrative, at least as a paying hobby.
Do they regulate things like that?  i don't know exactly where you are, but capitalism is an entirely different deal outside of our borders.  Don't get me started about inside our borders.

Ben Franklin

Razornole
Captain Audubon
Posting Bot 3000

Damnit Bobby!

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »

robinsons don't care

Hoag Hotties

George Washington's healthcare mandate: provided that all oceangoing ship owners provide catastrophic health insurance for seamen and it required all seamen to purchase it. That was in 1792.
razor55
Amateur

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »

Do they regulate things like that?  i don't know exactly where you are, but capitalism is an entirely different deal outside of our borders.  Don't get me started about inside our borders.

Do mean regulate selling food at events? I live in Landsberg am Lech, in the Free State of Bavaria, about 40 miles SW of Munich (google the live webcam), and, yes, they regulate it. Not as bad as you might imagine - the German beauracracy is pretty straightforward. I'm sure you have to have a business permit and get inspected by the Health Office, but I believe that's about it. Judging from what I buy to eat at some of these shindigs, it can't be too difficult. Last month they were serving free beer at the opening of our town festival and my wife went to get one and noticed they were taking the used mugs and just re-filling them without washing them. My wife could have shut them down with a phone call to the Health Office, but she's a live and let live kinda lady, so she went on about her business - without a beer. That was a complete rarity, though. I could go on and on about some stupid rules here...
razor55
Amateur

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »

robinsons don't care

Robinsons?
wholehog92
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »

Do mean regulate selling food at events? I live in Landsberg am Lech, in the Free State of Bavaria, about 40 miles SW of Munich (google the live webcam), and, yes, they regulate it. Not as bad as you might imagine - the German beauracracy is pretty straightforward. I'm sure you have to have a business permit and get inspected by the Health Office, but I believe that's about it. Judging from what I buy to eat at some of these shindigs, it can't be too difficult. Last month they were serving free beer at the opening of our town festival and my wife went to get one and noticed they were taking the used mugs and just re-filling them without washing them. My wife could have shut them down with a phone call to the Health Office, but she's a live and let live kinda lady, so she went on about her business - without a beer. That was a complete rarity, though. I could go on and on about some stupid rules here...
Sounds like fun!

Ben Franklin

Razornole
Captain Audubon
Posting Bot 3000

Damnit Bobby!

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »

http://www.aetv.com/duck-dynasty/episode-guide/season-1/#4

Hoag Hotties

number1stunna
The Armadillo Commander
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »

*Robersons*
razor55
Amateur

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 01:53:21 AM »

Sounds like fun!

Oh, it's fun, and that wasn't typical. Germany is really clean compared to just about anywhere else I've been (haven't seen Singapur yet). You can get all sorts of good food at the stands they set up at festivals, flea markets, etc. And beer, always beer, the liquid bread of Bavaria...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: