2017 Football Schedule: 4-8 1-7 SEC
11/04 Coastal Carolina HOME W 39 - 38
11/11 LSU AWAY L 10 - 33
11/18 Miss State HOME L 21 - 28
11/24 Missouri HOME L 45 - 48
   Home   Help Search Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Obama and I will fix the BCS: Jay Mariotti  (Read 1375 times)
HaWg
Resident Badass
Administrator
Posting Bot 3000

My name is not BUB!!

« on: January 07, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »

Barack Obama should really, really like me. In 2004, back when he launched his U.S. Senate candidacy in Illinois, the Republicans tried to coax a certain snarling, cussing, limping ex-football coach to provide marquee-name opposition. His name was Mike Ditka, and having lived in Chicago amid raging Ditkamania for years, I believed Da Coach had a chance to beat Da Lunchtime Baller.

That was until I pointed out, with others, that Ditka's life would be scrutinized personally and professionally and smeared in the political gutter. Next thing you knew, he was standing outside his pork-chops-and-cigars restaurant, withdrawing his name. "There was a moment when I said, God, I'd like to take this and run with it, and then I said, you know, put your head on straight and think about what you're getting into," Ditka said.

So Obama won the seat, beginning his course to the presidency. And as he hangs out with his family in a Washington hotel and awaits his inauguration party, I urge him to view me as his senior advisor in a mission that keenly interests us both: fixing the Bowl Championship Series, which continues to qualify as not only the dumbest ongoing farce in sports but a plight upon Americana and those who decry college football as a wonderful game gone awry. In fact, let me handle the dirty work as he attempts to reverse an economic crisis, end warfare -- you know, attack the challenges that don't involve Lee Corso and his No. 2 pencil. If Obama can ask Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN's news division to be surgeon general, why not a daily ESPN commentator as secretary of BCS demolition?

"This is important," the President-elect said during his '60 Minutes' interview. "I think any sensible person would say that if you've got a bunch of teams that play throughout the season, and many of them have one loss or two losses, and there's no clear, decisive winner, then we should be creating a playoff system. Eight teams. That would be three rounds to determine a national champion. It would add three extra weeks to the season. You could trim back on the regular season. I don't know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this. So I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit. I think it's the right thing to do.''

Here, here. Amen. Wubba wubba. Sis boom bah. Obama-rama. Undaunted by the naked hypocrisy of college presidents, the partnerships of TV and the greed that keeps driving this convoluted wreck, I still think the best way to create Barack's baby is via relentless, season-ending chaos. Oh, it'll help if he threatens to thrust federal anti-trust laws upon the BCS, but eventually, the annual silliness that rarely resolves anything will convince all involved that an eight-team tournament would be the second-grandest event in American sports -- and maybe the most lucrative.

Shame on those who propagate theories that college football features "the most compelling regular season in sports.'' Conversely, it also has the most idiotic postseason imaginable. Ever seen so much mindless clutter? Starting way back on Dec. 20, we've been inundated so far by 33 bowl games -- none of which meant anything in the final picture. That's because everything is funneled into Thursday night's so-called BCS title game between Florida and Oklahoma, even though no one is sure that Florida and Oklahoma are even the two best teams. At the start of each season, I tell myself the BCS can't get any worse. And then, inevitably, it does.

At present, we have five teams that realistically can lay some claim to a national championship. One will be eliminated in Miami, and then what? If we were playing a tournament, it would leave us with the same beauty we see every April in college basketball -- a Final Four. Let's say Florida wins, my forecast after an Oklahoma cornerback unwisely dissed Tim Tebow. That would leave Florida to play 13-0 Utah in an Urban Meyer-entwined semifinal and Texas to play USC in a rematch of their epic Pasadena shootout. Just presenting that scenario makes me hyperventilate. Dare I suggest it would be better drama than the NFL playoff games this weekend?

We've heard the same post-game speech so far from three notable winners. None is wrong.

THE REST
http://sports.aol.com/story/_a/bbdp/obama-and-i-will-fix-the-bcs/296491

Every aspect of life in America today is worse than it was when President Obama took over. Unemployment higher. Interest rates. The only thing that has gone down in America over the last two years is the value of your home. This president has mismanaged this economy. He has been incompetent in his management of this economy, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: