2017 Football Schedule: 4-7 1-6 SEC
10/28 Ole Miss AWAY W 38 - 37
11/04 Coastal Carolina HOME W 39 - 38
11/11 LSU AWAY L 10 - 33
11/18 Miss State HOME L 21 - 28
   Home   Help Search Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Borderline Great Season  (Read 874 times)
hogfan#1
Coke Can
Postmaster General

« on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »

It really was a borderline great season for the Razorbacks. 26 wins, SEC Tournament runner ups, NCAA tournament appearance with a win and almost knocking off #1.  This team made me and a lot of people forget losing to Mizzou on the road and Vandy at home.  Those were true growing pains for a team that was on the cusp of coming into their own.

If you look at next season objectively, there isn't we can't build upon this season. We have a lot returning. We will have a solid core of 6 seniors who are backed up by 3 Sophmores, and 3 freshman. Mike isn't done recruiting either. Wouldn't surprise me to see a guy or two transfer but for the most part I think everyone comes back.

Yes, we will miss Moses and Dusty.  We will even miss Manny Watkins. However, their departures do not mean an automatic drop off. In fact, I think it will be the opposite. 

Some keys for next season....

1. We need Barford and Macon continue to get better on the defensive end of the court. If they can be as good defensively as they are offensively, we will have one of the better backcourts in the SEC and or country.

2. CJ Jones and Brachen Hazen will need to fill the shoes left behind by Dusty. Defensively these two are long and athletic so we will gain that. They need to spend their offseason in the gym putting up shots.

3. Trey Thompson. We need him to be a beast defensively. I'd like to see him really shed some flubbiness and add muscle.

I really like how 2017/2018 is shaping up. If we can keep the group together, we'll see another NCAA tournament and possibly a deep run made.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Benjamin Franklin

Follow me on Twitter  @HogFanNumber1
TOBS
Cunning Linguist
Administrator
Posting Bot 3000

I'm THE LAW around here

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »

Nice to see some optimism after reading nothing but negative.  I don't agree with it 100%, but it's also really hard to argue with.  I don't think we drop off a ton, but Moses's impact inside will be next to impossible to replace in 1 season.  Dusty will be a trade off as will Manny.  One guy could fill those shoes for the position.  Although their leadership will be missed. 

It's all sh*ts and giggles until someone giggles and sh*ts. 
NeverYield
Asstastic
Postmaster General

Woo Pig

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »

Adding Garland will help replace Dusty and Watkins.  Adding Gafford will help with the Moses loss.   Macon and Barford will be improved on both ends and they showed later in the season that they can really take this team on a run.

Watch Khalil Garland attack the iron for a living: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcAfUNR9fI

Gafford is tough on defense, takes the ball up high on the other end and finishes with authority: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73zFiDSpbSk
hogfan#1
Coke Can
Postmaster General

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »

People are gonna sleep on Hazen. If he doesn't transfer, I think he sees playing time next season. 6'8 guy that can shoot it.

Benjamin Franklin

NeverYield
Asstastic
Postmaster General

Woo Pig

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »

People are gonna sleep on Hazen. If he doesn't transfer, I think he sees playing time next season. 6'8 guy that can shoot it.
I wonder if RJ Glasper will get a chance to enter games next year at PG.  He was a do it all at Forrest City the last few years and got to RS as a walk-on this season.
hogfan#1
Coke Can
Postmaster General

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »

I wonder if RJ Glasper will get a chance to enter games next year at PG.  He was a do it all at Forrest City the last few years and got to RS as a walk-on this season.

Given the fact that Beard can't seem to grasp that position, anyone can come in and win that job imo.

Benjamin Franklin

TOBS
Cunning Linguist
Administrator
Posting Bot 3000

I'm THE LAW around here

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »

Given the fact that Beard can't seem to grasp that position, anyone can come in and win that job imo.

He didn't really step up as much this year as I thought he would.  But he still has some great potential

It's all sh*ts and giggles until someone giggles and sh*ts. 
hogfan#1
Coke Can
Postmaster General

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »

He didn't really step up as much this year as I thought he would.  But he still has some great potential

I think he has proven that he isn't a PG. He just doesn't have the mentality. His handling skills are average, he's isn't a great passer, and he falls in love with the 3. Everything you don't want in a point guard.

If we can get someone to step up in this role, it will only add to my thought that this is a Sweet 16 or beyond team in 2017.

Benjamin Franklin

X'er
Postern Watchdog
Postmaster General

Sexyernna motherfricker...

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »

I ain't real happy bout losin' Perry... Evil

ONLY FAGGITS EAT TEXASS CHILLY
hogfan#1
Coke Can
Postmaster General

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »

sh!t happens. Especially when Calipari gets in their ear.

Benjamin Franklin

NeverYield
Asstastic
Postmaster General

Woo Pig

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »

Once he got his 5th star I kinda figured it was over for us.  neutral
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print